TOP REASONS WHY PURCHASERS and BUYER AGENTS DISLIKE For Sale By Owner
- Potential purchaser’s perception is the Seller’s price is inflated. (usually by perceived commission rate)
- Buyer Agents feel it’s a hassle to access the home. (no lock box, and Sellers present during showing)
- Agent’s perception, Seller will not be flexible during negotiations.
- Potential purchasers feel uncomfortable of the “unknown” process to follow.
- Buyer Agents will expect (in writing) a commission. (They will have to meet ahead and negotiate a commission. The Agent can perceive this as a hassle.)
- Some Buyer Agents make it their policy to not show any FSBO. (This equals less qualified traffic through the home.)
- Potential purchasers during the initial phase of house hunting are often not sure of their price range. (They see a pretty home in a beautiful neighborhood and want to walk through it.)
- Potential purchaser’s, who have a current property to sell, are often uncomfortable working directly with a Seller.
- Potential purchasers are uncomfortable negotiating directly with Sellers, that's why we now have Buyer Agency.
TOP REASONS WHY SELLERS TIRE FROM MARKETING THEIR HOME
- Sellers grow tired of having loads of people through the house but no one willing to discuss purchase.
- Sellers believe they are selling the home "as is" and are not familiar with disclosures and contracts.
- Sellers become tired of placing signs all over the neighborhood, expensive ads in the newspapers, or on the internet; just to have their neighbors come through the house.
- Sellers are not sure how to “qualify” potential Purchasers, so often when someone is truly interested in purchasing, the Sellers’ not sure what comes next.
- Sellers are not sure what to do when a potential Purchaser states, “I will need to sell my home first.” (the contingent buyer syndrome)
- Sellers hate wasting their weekends to hold the home “open”, as well as scheduling other times after work.
- Sellers are not sure if they have their home priced correctly (Zestimate maybe off).
- Sellers sometimes have purchased another home and are working within a limited time frame.
- Some Sellers feel uneasy showing their home after working hours to complete strangers.
- Sellers grow tired of hearing, “Your home is beautiful or I love this house”, but never see or hear from potential Purchasers again.
- Sellers dislike all of the telephone calls asking when the potential Purchaser can drop by and see the home.
- Sellers are uncomfortable negotiating with Purchasers.
All the above statements on Seller’s thoughts were gathered from interviews with Sellers who had their homes marketed as FSBO and later listed with Re/Max® Premiere Selections.